Walton County School District, Florida
- Main article: Evaluation of Florida school district websites
Last rated February 11, 2012.
- A summary budget is available with millage information.
- School board members are listed with contact information. Meeting date/time/location posted, as well as minutes and agendas.
- District superintendent and individual school administrative officials listed.
- Lists the district grades received by each school, but does not provide any explanation why they received such grades.
- Fingerprinting information is available.
- Site does not have a search function.
- Does not provide information on vendor contracts, audits, and background checks.
- Does not contain information on how to make public records requests.
The school board controls school property, establishes, organizes, and operates the schools of the district, including: establishing schools, adopting enrollment plans, providing for school elimination and consolidation, cooperating with school boards of adjoining districts in maintaining schools, maintaining the school year schedule and other more specific duties as outlined in the Florida statute. 
It operates, controls and supervises the district's public schools as well as determines the rate of school district taxes, with the option of two or more school districts operating and financing educational programs together.
|William Laird, Chair||District 2|
|Sharon Roberts, Vice-Chair||District 3|
|Mildred Wilkerson||District 1|
|Mark Davis||District 4|
|Darrell Barnhill||District 5|
In Winter 2009, Walton County School and teacher union officials agreed on a new contract:
- Pay for teachers with a Bachelor's degree starts at $34,700 and peaks at $60,300
- Pay for teachers with a Master's degree starts at $36,400 and peaks at $62,000
- 1.5% step increase
In the 2007-2008 school year Walton County School District had a total budget of approximately $138,075,885. However, the operating budget amounts to $72,689,174. From this, salary for teachers and general administrative workers amounts to $11,462,200 (about 31.3%), with the student population at 4,689. In 2009 the school district will collect $329,860 from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Plan.
Below are the mill rates collected by the school district:
With the exception of 3 schools in Walton County School District, all other schools received "A" or "B" grades for all three years between 2006 through 2009, according to Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT) test results.
Below is a chart of the school's grade based on the student's performance of the statewide test called the FCAT.
|School||Level||Grade: 2006-07||Grade: 2007-08||Grade: 2008-09|
|Bay Elementary School||Elementary||A||A||A|
|Emerald Coast Middle School||Middle||A||A||A|
|Freeport Elementary School||Elementary||B||A||B|
|Freeport Middle School||Middle||A||A||A|
|Freeport Senior High School||High||D||A||B|
|Maude Saunders Elementary School||Elementary||B||B||B|
|Mossy Head School||Elementary||-||-||A|
|Seaside Neighborhood School||Middle||A||A||A|
|South Walton High School||High||B||A||B|
|Van R. Butler Elementary School||Elementary||A||A||A|
|Walton Academy, Inc.||Combination||-||-||P|
|Walton Middle School||Combination||A||A||A|
|Walton Senior High School||High||D||C||B|
|West Defuniak Elementary School||Elementary||A||A||A|
- Main article: Florida government sector lobbying
Of the 15 schools in Walton County School District, there are approximately 4 charter schools available to residents: Walton Academy Inc., Mossy Head School, Paxton School and Seaside School. The state of Florida has two enrollment policies: intradistrict and interdistrict policies. In other words, students can transfer to other schools within and outside of the district.
- ↑ http://www.walton.k12.fl.us/departments/finance/Default.aspx
- ↑ School Board
- ↑ School Board Meetings
- ↑ Administrative officials
- ↑ Academics
- ↑ http://www.walton.k12.fl.us/departments/hr/jobopenings.aspx
- ↑ School board powers and duties, Florida statute
- ↑ Walton County School District,"Superintendent," retrieved August 6, 2009
- ↑ Florida Education Negotiators,"Volume XXV, Winter 2009," retrieved August 6, 2009
- ↑ Florida Education Negotiators,"Volume XX, Winter 2008," retrieved August 6, 2009
- ↑ Florida Education Negotiators,"Volume XVI, Winter 2007," retrieved August 6, 2009
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 Walton Count School District,"Budget Handbook 2007-08," July 23, 2007
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Florida School Accountability Reports
- ↑ Center for Union Facts,"Florida," retrieved July 31, 2009
- ↑ Florida School Boards Association members list
- ↑ Small School District Council Consortium Members
- ↑ Education Commission of the States,"Open Enrollment: 50-State Report," retrieved August 5, 2009