Woonsocket School District, Rhode Island
- Main article: Evaluation of Rhode Island school district websites
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information.
- Labor contracts are published.
- School committee members are listed with contact information. Meeting schedule, minutes, and agendas are posted.
- Only 2007-08 Budget is published.
- Does not provide information on taxes, audits, academic performance, background checks, and how to make public record requests.
The school committee is composed of five members:
|Eleanor Nadeau||Vice Chair|
|Anita McGuire Forcier||Member|
Dr. Giovanna M. Donoyan is the Superintendent.
For FY 2009-2010 the City Council approved a budget of $61.5 million, while the school district had sought $68.4 million. In the first attempt by the School Committee to reconcile the deficit, they planned to eliminate interscholastic sports and nearly all extracurricular activities, while also having district teachers work without pay for 40 days. This proposal would have saved around $5 million, but as Council President Leo T. Fontaine poninted out, the 40 days without pay would violate federal labor law.
Per pupil spending
In FY 2008 the District spent $12,076 per pupil.
In response to the No Child Left Behind Act, Rhode Island joined with Vermont and New Hampshire to create Grade Level Expectations (GLEs) and the New England Common Assessment Program (NECAP). NECAP results can be found on the Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education site.
Each year Information Works! (a partnership between the R.I. Department of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Center for School Improvement and Educational Policy at the University of Rhode Island) puts out an annual report on public education in Rhode Island, creating detailed report cards for each district.
2007-08 District school performance
In the 2007-08 school year, 4 schools (40%) in the district were classified as making Adequate Yearly Progress (AYP), 1 (10%) was a Regents' Commended schools, and two were identified as in need of improvement.
|Classification||Number of schools||Percentage of schools|
|Made Adequate Yearly Progress||4||40%|
|Did not make AYP - Caution||3||30%|
|Did not make AYP - Insufficient Progress||3||30%|
The chart below details school classification indicators and targets:
|Level||Math 2008 state target||District's index score||English 2008 state target||District's index score|
The chart below details the percentage of students reaching proficiency on the following subjects:
The Woonsocket Teachers' Guild (WTG) is the teacher's union for this school district. It is an affiliate of the Rhode Island Federation of Teachers and American Federation of Teachers. Richard Dipardo is the President.
- ↑ Administration
- ↑ Contracts
- ↑ School Committee
- ↑ 2007-08 Budget
- ↑ Woonsocket school committee
- ↑ Woonsocket schools - Labor contracts
- ↑ WTG - Contracts
- ↑ The Providence Journal, "Woonsocket school, city officials ponder district deficit," August 6, 2009
- ↑ RIDE - FY 2008 Per Pupil Expenditures
- ↑ Rhode Island Department of Elementary and Secondary Education - New England Common Assessment Program
- ↑ Infoworks! 2009 School District Performance Report
- ↑ Infoworks! Learning and Achievement: Accountability 2009 Report
- ↑ Infoworks! Learning and Achievement: Assessments 2009 Report
- ↑ Woonsocket Teachers Guild